Telegram is one of the best open-source messaging apps available out there. However, if you no longer wish to use Telegram, and want to know how to delete your Telegram account. Then this guide is going to be helpful for you.
Telegram is more than an instant messaging app, it offers tools to do a lot of productive work here. Telegram has end-to-end encryption to keeps your chats secure from outside the world. This messaging app is pretty much similar to WhatsApp. To delete your Telegram account you need to use either desktop or mobile browser. So let us dive in!
- 1 What Is Telegram?
- 2 Reasons To Delete Your Telegram Account:-
- 3 Export Data Before Leaving Telegram:-
- 4 Different Ways To Delete Telegram Account:-
- 5 Final Words:-
What Is Telegram?
Telegram is an instant messaging app that follows voice over internet protocol. Like the other messaging apps such as WhatsApp, Telegram also let you exchange, texts, pictures, videos, documents, and a lot more. This app can be used on Android, Windows, iOS, Linux platforms. However, if you’re not satisfied by Telegram services then this tutorial is for. So keep reading.
Reasons To Delete Your Telegram Account:-
Undoubtedly, Telegram is a secure messaging app and offers amazing features in comparison to its competitors. Below are some possible reasons to delete your Telegram account.
- Telegram has experienced some security related issues in past days. Hackers used Telegram to spread trojans. Also, few reports say that Telegram is responsible for metadata leaks.
- Telegram chat participants can delete the other party messages without knowing them which means your conversation can be easily manipulated.
- This app uses the MTProto security tool which is not reliable.
Export Data Before Leaving Telegram:-
Once you’ve deleted your account, you won’t be able to read your old conversations. Thankfully, Telegram gives the export option to save your conversations for further uses. The export option is available only on the Desktop Telegram application, so install the Telegram application on your computer. Let’s see how to do it.
- Open Telegram and sign in with your Phone number.
- Click on Three bars available at the top right corner.
- Tap on the Navigation menu and choose settings.
- Scroll down till you find the Export Telegram Data button.
- Select the type of data you want to download and click on Export.
Different Ways To Delete Telegram Account:-
As we have discussed earlier that we cannot delete accounts directly from Telegram applications. We need to use a mobile or desktop browser to do this. Instead of Telegram account deletion, you can set your account for auto-destruction.
1. Delete Telegram Account By Adjusting Self-Destruction Settings:-
Telegram security features set accounts for self-destruction after a certain period of inactivity. The default self-destruction period is 6 months, which means if you don’t use your Telegram account in that period. Then your account will be deleted automatically.
However, the self-destruction feature cannot be disabled, but you have an option to set the time after which your account would be deleted automatically. I suggest you set the self-destruction time to 1 month and wait. In that period of time, you shouldn’t use the Telegram account. The following steps will help you to do this.
- Open Telegram and head to the Settings.
- Click on Privacy & Security.
- Tap on If Away For option.
- Select 1 Month.
2. Manually Delete Account On Telegram:-
If you decided to leave Telegram immediately. Then go through these steps and delete your account in no time.
- Open your preferred browser and go to the Telegram account deletion page. This can be done using both desktop and mobile browsers.
- Enter the phone number you used while signing up for the Telegram account. Once you’ve finished click on Next.
- If your entered phone number is correct then you’ll receive a message in your Telegram account with a verification code. Copy the verification code and head back to the deletion page and enter the code. Click on Sign In.
- The new prompted window will ask you why are you leaving. This is an optional field, so if you don’t want to point out your reason then leave this blank. After that click on Done.
- In the last, you need to confirm that you seriously want to get rid of your Telegram account, by clicking on Yes, delete my account button.
That’s how you can get rid of your Telegram account.
Well-done! You have successfully deleted your Telegram Account. As I have said earlier that you need to not wait for several days just to delete your account. If you just want to take a break from a break then you can use it self-destruction feature. Once your account is deleted you won’t be able to create a new account for a few days, so you need to wait for a few days to get back to Telegram again.